Colorado Fall Colors Workshops
Want to be a better photographer? Want to reach the best photography locations Colorado has to offer? Exploring Exposure Workshops are for you. We will transform your photographic vision in the field and in the classroom. You will learn how to create compelling compositions at jaw-dropping locations and master Lightroom and Photoshop with expert instructors.
September 26-30, 2020
Sign up for our newsletter to get more information on this workshop:
Colorado scenery is already a photographer’s dream, but add in the yellow, orange and red of the quaking aspens, you have a set up for scenes that are amazing to photograph. Fall in Colorado is one of the most exciting times during the year. The colors are changing, the mountain peaks usually get their first bit of snow, and the air is crisp. We will take you to some of Colorado’s most scenic areas to photograph, focusing on everything from the colors, to grand scenes and more intimate scenes. This is one of the most scenic areas in Colorado, commonly referred to as “the Switzerland of America.” We will be photographing sunsets and sunrises, along with other mountain and fall color scenes. We will show you how to capture this landscape of color in the various lighting conditions that mountains provide. We will visit some popular areas, along with some areas off the beaten path away from the crowds that we have explored and discovered ourselves over the years. Come along to photograph and experience the most colorful time of year in Colorado with us!
$1395 - (Initial Payment of $495)
What is Included
What is Not Included
What You Will Learn
In the Field
- How to read a scene to create compelling compositions using shapes, lines, visual mass, texture, and more
- Reading weather and lighting conditions to know when to go out on your own in the right light
- How to use apps to scout out your own locations and plan your next shoot
- When and how to use lenses to bring focus to your subject
- How and when to use a polarizer to make colors pop
- Depth of field and hyperfocal distance to help you create sharp photos
- Achieving maximum sharpness using focus stacking
- Creative use of ND Filters to create motion in clouds and water
- Creating panoramas without using expensive equipment
- How to take correct exposures for bright skies; to be later used for exposure blending
- Identifying the best light and how to expose correctly
Post Processing for Beginners
- Making dull RAW files pop in Lightroom and keeping files organized
- Use of local adjustments for dodging & burning, and many more creative opportunities
- Using white balance to create mood in your images
- Properly sharpen and reduce noise for maximum image quality
- Stitching panoramas easily in Lightroom
- Exposure blending using HDR for natural looking results
Post Processing for Advanced users
- Exposure blending using luminosity masks to create balanced, natural looking images
- Focus stacking using Photoshop and/or Zerene Stacker for maximum depth of field
- Blending different focal lengths to correct for wide angle diminishment
- Creative burning and dodging techniques to bring focus to your subject
- Using the Orton Effect to add glow to your highlights
- Creating drama with Light Bleed
- Using Midtone Contrast to make images pop off the screen
- Sharpening for web and print
We encourage you to find your unique style of creativity with focused training based on your style and skill level. You will experience a rigorous learning experience in the field and the classroom to take your photography to the next level.
Our passion is seeing you grow in your photographic journey. We put your interests ahead of our own. Early on in the workshop, we will not photograph at all. Our focus is your learning experience, and we will not run off to chase the light and leave you behind. As the workshop progresses, we will take a few photos in a limited manner. This is so you can see how we approach a scene, demonstrate techniques, and create comradery with the group. Our focus will always remain with YOU.
We understand everyone comes to workshops at different points in their photography journeys. We will be there to guide and help you, whether you are a beginner or advanced shooter. There is always something to learn about photography, and we will do our best to help you find your creative vision.
Above all, we want this to be a fun experience for you. With our small group size, we get to know our clients very well, and we feel like they are part of our extended family. We do this for the love of photography, and there is nothing that gives us greater joy than seeing our clients grow and find their artistic vision.
How To Get There
Ridgway is not near a major international airport, but still easy to access. See the options below, and we then recommend using Google Flights to find the best option for where you are coming from.
- Option 1 – Fly to Denver International Airport and rent a car to make the 6 hour drive
- Option 2 – Fly to Montrose Airport and rent a car to make the 30 minute drive. Airlines that frequent this airport vary but service through Denver is available year-round through United
- Option 3 – Fly to Grand Junction Airport and rent a car to make the 1 hour 45 minute drive
Past Colorado Fall Color Workshops
- September 28 – October 2, 2019
- September 27 – October 1, 2018
- Sept 30 – Oct 4, 2017
- September 28 – October 2, 2016
- September 30-October 5, 2015
- October 1-5, 2014
Private Colorado Workshops
If you are looking for a private guide to show you around Colorado, look no further. As Colorado natives we have spent our lives exploring all Colorado has to offer. We can be your private tour guide or we can turn your experience into a full workshop training you on composition, vision, post-processing with Lightroom and Photoshop, all without the group.
Below are the locations we know intimately and would be more than happy to show you our favorite spots.
- Crested Butte
- San Juans Mountains (Telluride, Ouray, and Ridgway)
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Pawnee Grasslands
- Great Sand Dunes National Park